Woman’s Cry For Help Ignored, What She Did Next Really Got Their Attention

Woman Told Cops To Come Over, Not Prepared For What They Walked In On
The woman’s home in Dayton, OH where cops were called (left), the scene on her street when they finally arrived (right)

For an hour, a woman was trapped inside her Ohio home, holed up alone as a hostage to what was lurking on the outside. She tried to get help, but it wasn’t coming. Nobody seemed to take her seriously until she took matters into her own hands. Then, she finally got the response she had been waiting for.

The Dayton homeowner, whose name was not released, had reportedly been a repeat target of crime, each time calling 9-1-1 for help with alleged invaders. However, this particular time was different. The woman heard someone outside her home and knew it was happening again. As a matter of routine by this point, she called an emergency dispatcher to report another suspicious person.

According to WDTN, the woman told the dispatcher that someone was breaking in, to which the operator asked her to clarify. The caller told her that the man was banging at her door. The victim was then instructed in the heat of that tense moment to “keep an eye out” and that an officer was on the way, but to go ahead and call back if she sees anything else.

Thinking cops were on their way, she waited, but time ticked by and nobody showed up, except the criminal who crept in an upstairs window an hour after the woman called for help. In that time, the woman had armed herself, since it didn’t appear that the dispatcher was taking her call too seriously, and she knew her life was in peril.

The 22-year-old intruder, identified as DeBrandon Dickerson, had come down from his rat hole in Detroit to this woman’s Ohio suburb. After she heard him enter her home, Dickerson allegedly came face-to-face with the homeowner and her “little friend.”

Staring down the barrel of what he had coming to him when he broke in a stranger’s home with bad intentions, the woman fired one shot at the intruder, hitting him in the chest. Taking a bullet sent him running out of the house and down the street, until he collapsed about a block away.

Woman Told Cops To Come Over, Not Prepared For What They Walked In On
Dayton Police block the woman’s street off where the home invasion took place

After pulling the trigger in self-defense, the woman called police again. This time it was to report that the guy who the dispatcher didn’t think was an imminent threat, most certainly was, and now he had been shot. The victim’s call was followed by another call from a family member of the intruder, begging for medical assistance. With these two reports, the police immediately arrived to the scene within a couple of minutes. Dickerson was rushed to the hospital, where he was soon pronounced dead.

Some will be quick to claim the cops were at fault here for not getting to the woman’s home seconds after the first call, but it’s the dispatcher who is to blame. Emergency operators are responsible for assigning a level of priority to each call, which is relayed to officers. This dispatcher didn’t give the woman’s initial call a high priority, so the cops weren’t aware or prepared for all that was happening at that woman’s home after that initial call because of what they were told. The subsequent call was appropriately prioritized since someone was shot, which was why the cops came as quick as they did.

This woman did exactly what she was supposed to do and defended herself well. If criminals don’t want to get shot, they should stay out of other people’s homes. Since the dispatcher didn’t do their job right, this woman had her own back thanks to her Second Amendment rights and knowing how to use them.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *